Thursday, November 24, 2011

Serving One Another. By: C.C

Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love? (Archbishop Fulton Sheen)
Last Sunday's Gospel has been on my mind throughout this entire week. While these thoughts remain on my heart I felt the need to write about the ways we serve Jesus through serving one another as He calls us to. Here is the reading from last Sunday's mass..."for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' Then the righteous will answer him, `Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? And the King will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.' for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' Then they also will answer, `Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?' Then he will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.' And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." ( Matthew 25. 31:46) This Gospel passage invites us to recognize the ways in which Jesus calls us to treat our brothers and sisters here on earth. It is through our treatment of others that we honor God. This concept is also one that troubles many people. It is so simple to lose ourselves within our own tasks that we often ignore, walk past, or simply do not recognize another in need. Lord allow us to see You in everyone we meet. May we be eager to aid those in need and go out of our way to do what we can. May we extend beyond our own schedules, pride, and judgements in order to do Your will. Lord I ask that you use our hands to serve, our hearts to give unconditional love, and our speech to use comforting words for those who need us. May we carry this Gospel into every place we go. Amen. (C.C)

No comments:

Post a Comment